Mantra

Mantra– n:  1. a mystical formula of invocation or incantation.  2. crazy voices that say the darndest things in your head to keep you from quitting

One day I did a quick #CoachPoll on Twitter and asked if anyone had a mantra, if so, what was it?  Here are the ones I received in reply:

@johnepcondon :  “When I’m at my weakest, I must be at my strongest”

@Woodstock_Tris:  “I don’t have to swim 1.2, bike 56, or run 13.1, this is the only thing I have to do today”

@junk1600s: “Find a way”

@Eddie12Tri:  “Keep on keepin on”

@deeFSU:  “Fast hands, slooooow slide” (Get your mind out of the gutter, this is for rowing)

@runningohma:  “I am free to run like the wind”

@Hunter_Loyd:  “All it takes is all you got”

@laurawherry:  “There will come a day when I can no longer do this, today is not that day”

@JeannieMGilbert:  “Finish Strong”

@PelsRenovation:  “inspire someone today”

@RunningJoeInJax:  “You need this”

Mantras are uniquely ours or we may hear it and make it ours.  I never had a mantra, or so I thought, until I was interviewed by http://WhoHasTheRuns.blogspot.com  and in the interview I said something that he pulled out and used as the title.  At that moment I knew what it was, and that it had been for the better part of my life.

“Tell me what I can’t do, I’ll show you what I can

She may only survive a few hours.  That was 1970.

You will have to have extensive chemotherapy and radiation.  It was all contained in surgery, no further treatment needed.

Your chances of living 5-10 years, slim.  That was 1997.

You’ll never meet a man who will love you with all your medical issues and scars.  Married were we, in 2003.

Chances of conceiving a child and carrying to term, slim.  He starts Kindergarten this year.

You gained 100lbs, you’ll never get your pre-baby body back.  True, didn’t get it back, it’s better.

You’ll never run a Half Marathon.  2:43:28 and 2:08:54

You’ll never finish a Full Marathon.  4:36:36

Don’t try so hard to make a difference. No one will ever notice you.  They did:

Coming into 2012 I have been told I won’t make an impact on Skin Cancer Education and Research, become a USATF Certified Running Coach, qualify for USATF Masters All American, and finish an Ultra Marathon.

I may not be able to do these exactly, but I will certainly show what I can do.

37 comments on “Mantra

1. This. Is. AWESOME! I was incredibly inspired by your interview, and love that you now have your own site!

2. Emily says:

You will own twenty twelve! I believe in you!

3. Rachel says:

Very inspiring. I will have to read this everyday. Keep um coming…

4. @wirelessjake says:

Great stuff! I never had a mantra but during my first 13.1 I saw the ever present “shut up legs” and had to use it to get me through. It worked!
    But I have to agree and say that there is no bigger motivator for me than to have someone tell me I can’t do something.
    Looking forward to watching you check off your 2012 list of things that “can’t be done”.

5. Christian says:

I don’t have a mantra. “I change my Twitter handle and Avi” doesn’t count.

Unlike a lot of us, you’ve actually defied expectations and overcome adversity! No matter how much you give me a hard time (for good fun) your smile and positivity shines through! Keep on challenging yourself! You’re truly an inspiration.

6. Lee Beebe says:

I did not know most of what I just read about you, all I knew was you are Amazing. Now I know why.

7. Tiffany says:

Taking a deep breath before saying “Wowie Zowie”. I am once more awestruck by you. Keep up the fight, kapowie, good work.

8. LifeisaRun says:

Kristie!! LOVE it! So glad to get to hear from you in an outlet that allows you more than 140 characters!

9. Harold says:

Add another Mantra “Keep smiling and good things can happen 🙂

You have been through a lot and come a long ways, keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep smiling :-).

Harold // IRC

10. Great new blog, I’m hooked already! My mantra goes between two different ones. “Pain is temporary, pride is forever” and “Go hard or “go home.” Anyway, best of luck with your goals! Keep on pushin’. So inspirational and so motivational, excellent work and welcome to the blogging world!

11. Awesome Kristie! You will do those things. I just know it! Your determination and will is so strong. 🙂

12. Krista G says:

You ROCK. Let’s SHOW them what we can do 🙂

13. Ah, Your OK!

J/K, what a great read!

14. Aw, You’re OK!

Just Kidding, great posting and blog Coach!

15. Sandy Hughes says:

Oh the places we go!

16. David says:

I will never understand why people say others “can’t” or “shouldn’t” do things, or just to accept the given status quo.
    Is it to drive them? to belittle them? does it come from something inside them that fears that someone else can, while they stand by and watch?
    I have met, and seen, many incredible people who were told some obstacles could not be overcome, would not be overcome, and then that person will persevere and triumph.
    Being your friend over the years (some in absence but I was still there !) I have seen you do so many things Kristie, and you ARE a true inspiration to others, always reaching out to help, always being a rock, regardless of your own situation.
    Anyone who tells you that you can’t do something.. well.. I feel bad for them.. not because they are wrong.. but because they don’t know who you really are.

I would say good luck in 2012 but honestly, you don’t need it, I see you making it happen, luck aside.

17. Ali Mc says:

wow you are so inspiring. I think having that frame of mind is the first step, the next is having the persistence and courage to follow through 🙂 can’t wait to follow this journey!

18. Awesome, awesome post, my friend!

19. Sandra Horlick says:

This was such an inspirational read! I am so proud of you and all of the things you have accomplished. Looking forward to hearing more of them! Luv Ya